This is a small purse that is meant to wear across the body. I hate carrying around bulky bags, so this purse is perfect because it is just large enough to fit my wallet and lipstick in the main part and my iPhone fits nicely in the front pocket. It’s a great “on the go” size and is fairly easy to make. Check out the steps below.
Supplies: 1/4 yard of faux leather, sewing machine with your choice of color thread, long strip of cotton fabric (for the strap), old piece of fabric (will need to throw away afterward), iron and ironing board.
- Cut two pieces of leather in a rectangle shape each measuring about 8″ x 6″.
- Cut the leather piece for the front pocket measuring about 4 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
- Place the pocket fabric on top of one of the main leather cut-outs and sew around the three edges in a zig zag stitch.
- Place to two pieces on top of each other (front sides inward) and sew along the three edges.
- Turn the purse right side out.
- Fold the top of the purse inward and sew along the edge to make a clean finish.
- To distress, place the old fabric on top of each edge of the purse front and back and iron over it. The fabric will stick to the purse. Simply peal off for a distressed look. *Warning – don’t press too hard or iron for too long because it will pull the “leather” off of the purse.
- Take your cotton fabric and cut a 46″ x 1″ piece.
- Fold the fabric over once and iron the edge.
- Tuck the raw edges under and sew up the long side.
- Place about 2″ of each end of the strap on the inside of the purse and sew into the bag.